Recently, I was informed about a wonderful contest that the EPA’s Team Energy Star has launched to help recognize kids for stuff they are already doing to save energy with the hopes to help inspire other kids to get involved as well. Team ENERGY STAR is the Environmental Protection Agency’s program created to teach kids about energy efficiency.
It is a pretty straight forward contest where kids can submit an essay that they write about Saving Energy and then submit it through the Share Your Story web page and then click on the DoSomething Team ENERGY STAR Challenge. After that they will become eligible for a number of great prizes.
Prizes available include the following:
- The new Lorax DVD, which will go to the first 100 kids to submit essays
- 25 winners will receive ENERGY STAR certified electronics products donated by LG Electronics, including televisions, computer monitors, smart phones, and mouse scanners
- Top winners will also be featured in Times Square on the LG billboard.
- Plus, some of the winners may have a chance to participate in ENERGY STAR day in October
Essays will be judged based on the following:
- Creativity/Ingenuity: How did you use Team ENERGY STAR resources to develop a home energy-saving idea that both worked for your family and saved energy? Make sure you explain the energy-saving approach and its relationship to ENERGY STAR as well as how it fits with your family. For example, where your home energy-saving opportunities are and how your family functions day to day.
- Energy Savings: How effective was your idea in engaging the family to save energy? How much energy was saved? Explain how you and your family implemented your idea. For example, what worked, what didn’t, and why you think it was successful. What did you learn from the process and how do you plan to use your ideas and lessons learned to keep saving energy?
Kids can submit an “essay” in several different various formats, it can be in the form of a written story; a photo essay; a video; a slide show; a drawing; or any other creative way that they can come up with to demonstrate that they have learned something about energy efficiency. EPA’s Team Energy Star will showcase the stories and pictures at energystar.gov/changetheworld and on their social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube .
Entries must be submitted before September 17, 2012 and prize winners will be announced by October 10.
So encourage your kids and their friends to get involved and help show to show how they really care about saving energy!